5/26/2013

I Take My Hair Off To You...

"When are you going to cut your hair?!?" Has been the most frequently asked question, next to "so are you 100% healed?" Cutting of a woman's hair or loosing of a woman's hair can be a big deal..In Arizona,a sociological study found that people feel "you are your hair" Whether you agree with this or not, there are many that feel this way. It creates an identity, a security, and a way of life crisis, when something is forcing you to lose or change your hair. Ask most people in your circle of friends, and they would be terrified to meet you at the salon and chop! Even though it grows back, many women, think they are not strong enough to handle a change. I was one of them. But my reasons for keeping my hair on the left side, and A Renewed Image keeping me in extensions as well as a topper go deeper than a follicle. As many of us are prepping to celebrate our war hero's and ALL military, I have loved the reflection of so many TV shows about them. I solute them, and am SO grateful for their service. Last week before the "cutting of the hair" I was on a treadmill reading the subtitles to a talk show about war heros. There was a gentleman on there who has PTSD (post traumatic stress syndrome) he said something extremely prophetic to me. "The man who I was, died on the battlefield. I am a new man, a different man. That man is literally gone, dead to me". Oh my, this made me so sad for him, but I could REALLY empathize with him. The girl I was pre-accident, is different than the girl I am today. In SO MANY ways I miss her, and long to integrate many of her good traits into who I am now. It is a process, and I am working through it. Many of you will see yourself in his words as well. Every season of your life, is a "new life".... a married life, a single life, a mother, a father, an empty nesting life, etc. We are continuously morphing into different people. I consider this one of my transformations. I have GRASPED onto my hair, because I am GRASPING onto the old me. I have not been ready to move on and let her go. My hair was a symbol. Admittedly, I cried desperately in the shower as I removed the extensions, and afterward, into the night. Not because it is my "HAIR" because it is the me I knew and recognized that would be changing once more. Letting out the emotion was really good for me. My toes touched the hot water, and it all began. The extensions came out easily, the glue and adhesive, not so easily. Nick once more was tending to my head, olive oil and a comb, then back with my head in the sink, rinsing this time with dish soap to degrease my hair. My Honey and I showed up at the hair appointment, and were greeted by 2 of my best friends, Kim and Kaley. We walked into the salon like an entourage. I checked in at the front desk, and she couldn't find me. She searched the system, I was no where to be found. IMMEDIATE tears were streaming without my control and power. "SERIOUSLY?!?" Would I have the courage to come back another day? They reconciled with me, and got us in 30 minutes later. phew... I put my hair in the hands of the stylist. With all confidence in the hand with the scissors, it began. First the cutting of the pony tail, you know, the one that has been with me throughout my fall, trauma, hospital, surgeries, the one that my little girl played with and would run through her little chubby fingers. Please don't roll your eyes. I know it is "just hair" but literally it was an accumulation of my year. Then the color doused all over, then the cut began. Holding it together, I had faith that I would be fine, and would like the new look, and the new me. So, here it is.... I like it a lot... (as Lloyd Christmas would say) It is new, it is scary, and truthfully I have not washed it since it was cut on Friday. I hope I can style it:) Here is to a new day, a new life, and a new look! I stood on the ledge and jumped once more....